As you can see, I have been regularly posting updates on Fidel Castro's health since July of 2006. In case there is any confusion, I want to state briefly why I am interested in the situation:
1. My primary interest stems from my personal involvement with the Cuban church. As many of you know, Seminario ESEPA has a partnership with a Cuban seminary. ESEPA sends professors to the island every few months to give intensive courses. I have given one of those courses--the Gospel according to Mark--and will be giving another one this year. I admire and love the Christians I got to know during my stay.
In addition to giving classes, I am a part of a team that is developing new ways to make theological education more available to Cuban pastors who don't have the time or opportunity for formal seminary training. In short, I am personally invested in the Cuban church, and news of their leader's poor health peaks my interest.
2. My posts regarding Castro's health should in no way be interpreted as veiled enthusiasm for his seemingly impending death. I do not wish sickness or death upon anyone.
3. More than anything, my posts are a call to pray; to pray for Cubans and their future. Most Cubans live under very difficult conditions, struggling to put food on the table each week. In the past few years there has been an intensification of their struggles. The international community has done little to rectify this situation. While I (along with the Cubans I talked to) am persuaded that Fidel's death will not result in a drastic change of government, I do hope for new attempts at dialogue, and perhaps even new policies. So, pray for Cuba. Pray for a fresh wind of hope, for justice, for fruitfulness, for peace--for a change.
No comments:
Post a Comment