January 20, 2007

Fife Coastal Path







St Andrews is a part of the Kingdom of Fife. (The US has counties; Scotland has kingdoms!) Fife is proud of their rich coastal heritage. In 2002 they developed an 82-mile path that meanders from the north to the south of the kingdom while hugging the coastline. Today I covered part of that path and it was incredible!

I couldn't have asked for a better day--in January anyway. It was sunny; about 40 degrees; winds at about 25-60 mph--no joke. The trail was very muddy (see photo). I walked from St Andrews almost to Crail and back. Since there are only about eight hours of daylight at this time of year I couldn't go any further.

Some of my highlights were seeing the amazing rock formations, shaped by the pounding wind; the cow who tried to hide from me by sticking his head in the bush (see photo), and just being able to bask in the glory of God 's creation and fellowship with that very God for about eight hours! What else can one ask for?

I should also mention that the path passes by two golf courses. I found eleven golf balls on the the shore next to the course my brother and my dad played on when they visitied. My guess is that at least six of the balls I found were theirs. :)

No comments: