January 04, 2007

How Cubans Make Ends Meet

I keep my eye on news in Cuba for obvious reasons. When I come across articles that paint a picture of what real life is like over there, I like to post them on this blog so that you too can have a sense of the ethos in Cuba for the common man or woman. I am certainly not an expert in Cuba studies, but I have visited the island, lived with the common folk; one of my best friends in Costa Rica is a recent emigrant from Cuba. I know what I have seen and I know what my Cuban friends have lived.

Here is an interesting article by the BBC on how Cubans find ways to make ends meet. Unfortunately the examples mentioned in the article are not in any way exhaustive. Over the past ten years Cuban have had to come up with all kinds of creative solutions in order to feed and clothe their families.

No comments: