December 17, 2007

A unique vista into Cuba: Buena Vista Social Club

About ten years ago the world got a fascinating look into Cuba through the album and documentary known as Buena Vista Social Club. A friend of mine, Patrick Wildman, invited Marietta and I to watch the documentary with him and his wife. Something about the film moved me, and I remember afterward praying that God would give me the opportunity to minister in Cuba someday.

One of my favorite songs on the album is Chan Chan. A few weeks ago, the day before I was to leave Cuba to head back to St Andrews, I was sitting on the wall of the Malecon--the famous road in Havana that runs along the shore of the ocean (click on the video and you will see it). While I was sitting there, two men in their late twenties came up to me with their guitars and asked if I would like them to play a song. Immediately I requested Chan Chan. As they began singing the song, it drew me back to the first time I heard it, in the theater while watching the documentary. It was then that I remember, for the first time since 1998, that I had prayed for this opportunity that I was now enjoying, an opportunity to minister in Cuba!

I have embedded a video of Chan Chan. It gives a great look into life in Havana. Though it was filmed in the late 1990s, things haven't changed much. If you enjoy the video, I encourage you to rent the documentary.

For more on Buena Vista Social Club see also.


No comments: