A fellow post-graduate thought I might be interested in the following quote by Clement of Alexandria. I wonder why?
"About the hair, the following seems right. Let the head of men be shaven, unless it has curly hair. But let the chin have the hair...the shaving of the chin to the skin is reprehensible, approaching to plucking out the hair and smoothing...But the hair on the chin is not to be disturbed, as it gives no trouble, and lends to the face dignity and paternal terror...neither is the hair to be dyed, nor grey hair to have its color changed...old age, which conciliates trust, is not to be concealed...For sometimes, when [the young] have been behaving shamefully, the appearance of grey hairs, arriving like an instructor, has changed them to sobriety, and paralysed juvenile lust with the splendor of the sight."Clement of Alexandria was an early Christian theologian (died around 215) who was in charge of training new Christians in the faith. He wrote The Instructor in order to teach Christians the basics of the Christian life.Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor, Book III, Chapter 11, The Hair.
(Thanks to Justin Smith)
Does the photo strike paternal terror in your heart?
4 comments:
Dude, I'm trembling!
love that quote, and maybe even more, your picture.
Oh, and I have no fear.
Maybe if you had a Spartan football helmet on, then fear might be invoked.
I feel like I'm grounded!
Post a Comment