July 30, 2007

Los Desaparecidos (those who have disappeared)

When I was a campus minister in Chile, almost every student we knew had lost a parent or a relative to Pinochet's (Chilean dictator) efforts to 'stabilize' the country. Mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas, on any given day suddenly 'disappeared' from their homes or workplaces.

"Where was God in all of this?", was a question we often got. The answers were (and are) not easy. And missionaries and pastors who still work in Chile and other countries like Argentina and Uruguay where the unfortunate legacy of the 'desaparecidos' still lives on face tremendous pastoral challenges

Below I have embedded a video of a song written by a popular Chilean band known as Illapu. It tells the story of the desaparecidos--from the perspective of a boy who was left behind and a man who has 'disappeared'. Having lived with many who suffered this kind of loss, I am deeply moved by the song. I post in on my blog in the hopes that you get a sense of what many in Latin America have lived. May God's healing grace reach to these people and give them hope for the future.




For those of you who are unfamiliar with Spanish, I have included a rough translation in English:

MANUEL’S STORY

Here, yesterday lived a man

Today only his son Manuel lives [here]

He searches for his father, he wants to know

Where can his cry burn.

He was five years old that day

His mother said ‘he went on a trip’

Nothing from that room has changed

Over the bed hangs a carnation.

Every night and sunrise

He runs to his [father’s] room searching for him

His mother says, ‘Manuel, [my] son

Perhaps tomorrow. Let’s have faith’

He grew up dreaming to see the day

When [his father] would tell him a bed-time story

So, his mother said, ‘Manuel,

One thing is for sure, he will return’

FOREVER, LOVE

From this [jail] cell where hate is confined

Your smile, my beloved

I bleed in the absence of your hands

And I fall asleep, with your universe

Which is strength and life in the hope of our children who remained

But if I die with the misfortune of not seeing you again

Get up, Come get me.

The sacrifice of my flesh has note been in vain

Get up, Come get me.

The sacrifice of my body has not been in vain

Forever, [my] love

Forever

I AM PART OF THIS HISTORY

You look for me

But you do not find me

But I am here

I am like you

I have not disappeared

I am a living reflection

I hear busy trains

And the shouts of vendors

You look for me

And you do not find me

But I am here

I never left

John finished school

And even if it is very late

He will search for the truth

You and he will find me.

Look, I am here

Where I never left

I am here

And sometimes I sing

I can see you dancing alone*

So that no one loses the memory

Because I am part of this history

My children are here--my tomorrow

My tomorrow, my tomorrow.

* The Spanish makes it clear that it is a woman dancing alone, likely his wife. During the Pinochet reign, women who had lost their husbands would dance the traditional Chilean dance alone in the streets as a form of protest.

No comments: