July 18, 2009

From the Executive Director of UWM

July 17, 2009


Dear Friends,

As you have read in the accompanying letter from Kelly and Marrietta, they have reached the difficult decision to resign from United World Mission (UWM) and to accept a teaching position at LeTourneau University. I share the “sorrow” they have communicated in their letter regarding this decision, but I also accept it with them as from the Lord who is sovereign and good.

My disappointment is commensurate with how much I respect and value Kelly and Marrietta and the work they have done as missionaries in Latin America. They exemplify what I hope United World Mission is and can be in the world. They have consistently demonstrated a very real faith, servant hearts that refresh others, and sincere love for Latin Americans (as well as Cubans and fellow students from around the world in Scotland). Kelly was extremely effective as a professor at ESEPA, and much loved and appreciated by his students. Marietta (and the kids) made their home a place where students (and vagabond friends like me!) felt welcomed and loved. So, knowing the great need for theological education and leadership development in Latin America, I am truly saddened that they have reached this decision.

At the same time, I understand. These are difficult days for missionaries who are seeking to raise financial and prayer support in the United States. I recognize the toll it would have taken upon their family to endure another move back to the States and an extended period of seeking to raise support—only then to make another move back to Costa Rica. That is a lot of moving, waiting and “adjusting.” In the midst of seeking for God’s guidance, they received the offer from LeTourneau University, which is a setting where they can be a blessing to many students and can continue to fulfill the Great Commission, albeit in a different way. We will miss them—but also look forward to finding ways to stay connected and work together.

I want to take this moment to thank each of you who have prayed for and contributed financially to the Liebengood’s support team. I have seen the faces of Costa Ricans, Cubans, and other Latin pastors and church planters that have been encouraged and educated because of your generosity and Kelly and Marietta’s faithfulness. On behalf of Latins that have come to know God, partly due to your faithfulness and generosity, thank you.

United World Mission will continue to receipt donations for the Liebengoods through the end of August, 2009, after which we will not be able to accept donations for their ministry. The Liebengoods will receive their final paycheck in August and additional monies in their account will be available to them for the expenses they have incurred in moving back to the US and getting resettled here. If you are interested in transferring your donations to another UWM ministry in Latin America or elsewhere in the world, please contact us at the toll free number on this letterhead for opportunities to partner with us.

Thank you for the trust you have placed in United World Mission and the Liebengoods over these past seven years.

Sincerely in Christ,

John G. Bernard
Executive Director

No comments: