May 06, 2008

Kids' Questions: Why is God So Selfish?

I begin yet another sporadic series of posts, which I have entitled Kids' Questions. I have been amazed at the questions that my kids ask during our Bible study times, as well as the inquisitive minds of the children in Sunday school. Children seem to have a curiosity and an imagination that for some reason gets squelched as we get older.

The first question comes from my son, Caleb, who asks (and I will try to mimic how he asked the questions):

Caleb: Why is God so selfish?

Me: What do you mean? (Clearly trying to buy time while I think of a response.)

Caleb: Well, you know...when God like doesn't like to work with strong people; he makes them weak, takes away all their power, and then He does great things. Isn't that kind of like showing off, like saying "look how great I am?"

This is a great question, one we probably should struggle with more. Why is it ok for God to boast about his greatness, and yet if we do so it is selfish, showing off?

The short answer is that for God to fail to glorify Himself, to resist making His great power known, would be the ultimate act of selfishness, the ultimate act of cruelty. Why? Because human beings are made to know and worship God. Our very being is satisfied and made complete in knowing God. Thus, our ultimate goodness is dependent upon knowing and experiencing God's goodness, power, mercy, patience, love--His glory! Thus, His relentless pursuit to glorify His name, is actually the ultimate act of love for His creation.

For humans to boast, takes away from our knowing God, and the full extent of His goodeness and enabling power.

No comments: