
Sorry for long gap in posts. I spent the past week in internet silence at a Benedictine monastery in the North of Scotland (Pluscarden Abbey), where I was working on a chapter of my thesis. Along with working on my dissertation, I spent a day and a half on a project I am involved with called Theology of Work. I am analyzing the General Epistles (Hebrews, 1-2 Peter, James, 1-3 John, Jude) to see how they (a) challenge our assumptions about work and (b) how they can help us develop a biblical concept of work. In my research I came across a book that I think might be helpful to people who are wanting to think about how work fits into the Christian life or who are working with people who are struggling with this pressing question (i.e. college students choosing a major, or a career; people just out of college; people trying to discern a vocation). The book is The Heavenly Good of Earthly Work written by Darrell Cosden. In the last chapter Cosden has some interesting reflections on work and missions, which I think anyone involved in missions should read. Here are two small samplers from the book:
‘A lot of the spiritual frustration that ordinary working Christians experience boils down to feelings that they are cut off from, and only indirectly involved with, God in his real mission in the world’. (129)
‘In a secularized world where the marketplace increasingly sets the agenda and determines cultural values and goals, Christians need to embody with their work and in their ways of working the goals and values that characterize and point to the present and coming kingdom of God’. (135)
No comments:
Post a Comment