
This Sunday I have the honor of preaching at Holy Trinity (Church of Scotland) in St Andrews. Holy Trinity has a long, rich history. It is here where John Knox started the Scottish Reformation. While I don't plan on starting a new reformation, I do pray that God will accompany me as I teach. This Sunday will be the first time I preach from the lectionary schedule. My assigned readings are Ps 32 / Gal 2.15-20 / Luke 7.36-8.3. I would appreciate your prayers as I prepare. (This is one of my favorite pictures of John Knox as he preached. Knox's custom in preaching was to spend thirty minutes studying the passage at hand, and then to spend the another thirty minutes or so explaining the implications of the passage for the church. It appears that this picture illustrates him in that second stage of preaching!)
1 comment:
Man, I love that picture too. I love that it's so full of expression, and not just a dry and drab delivery. Well, that could certainly be a huge conversation. Nonetheless, I love that image.
More than that, I love the fact that you preached at Holy Trinity. I now need to kiss you when I see you next. What was that like? I mean, I'm sure words can't quite explain it. In a sense you were standing in the vortex of time and reaching back to the hand of Knox and bringing forth the same timeless, inspired truth of God's Word to a new generation. Man, I stinkin' love it.
Post a Comment